Working with the DNR, members keep track of how many loons are on the lake, including chicks. Two loon platforms have also been built on the lake as a memorial for our past president. You can help conserve loons by enjoying them from a distance. Boaters should stay 150 yards or more from loons. Boating too near loons may cause them to abandon their nest or young.
- Learn more about loons in the Minnesota DNR site.
- Loon Preservation Committee Website (view their brochure)
- Loon Tips (PDF)
- Addition Loon Information (PDF)
- Loon Behaviour and Calls by Dr. Charles Walcott
- Read the 2014 Lake John Loon Report
Not familiar with the loon call? You can hear it here:Loon Call